Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009


We began our Thanksgiving Day with the Turkey Trot 5K run.
The scooter and bike really helped move our family along.
These pictures are from our family dinner. We had a fun week of turkey dinners. I had spent the previous saturday helping kill and pluck a turkey. Our friends, the Hortons, raised a turkey for me and then I went to help kill and clean the bird. It reminded me of the days helping at my Grandpas house. But I must have been only about 10 years old when those headless chickens were running around the yard. Once they stopped running my grandpa would hang them by their feet on a line to drain. Once they were drained it was my job the carry them in a big cast iron pot from the orchard down to the basement where they were very busy scortching and plucking and cutting and processing chicken. I will never forget the smell, it is very distinct, of dead warm chicken. I cooked the fresh bird on Tuesday because I didn't want to have to freeze it. So we had our turkey dinner on Wednesday. Then my family's gathering on Thursday and a turkey dinner @ the Hale's on Friday.



Amy Christensen and family came for Thanksgiving. It was Sam's birthday and it was great to be able to spend time with them.

No comments: